Friday, February 10, 2012

Home


New Jersey birthed me, but I don't claim it as home. I was born exactly two months before the world expected me. Two weeks after I was born my Grandmother passed away. I thank the Lord everyday, that she was able to meet me before she passed. I don't remember her, but my Mom says whenever I bake, I look just like her. To this day, I think she's the reason I love baking.


Raleigh rented me, but it's neither home, nor important.


Charlotte raised me, but that house is becoming a very distant memory. I spent Halloween's trick or treating on Rainbow Forrest Dr. I played many games of Pig and Horse with my dad and brother in the front yard. I spent many days, "home sick" on the green sofa tucked in tightly watching t.v. while everyone else was at school. My dog is buried in the back yard but this was not the home that built me.


I grew up with Cullowhee. I found hΦΜe in Phi Mu.  I found myself in Phi Mu. Love and heartbreak revealed itself. I learned the do's and dont's of fraternity boys and alcohol.  But I soon realized God had more plans for me.


Mt. Gould Beach adopted me long ago. Many games of rummy with my Granddad, many pranks pulled with my aunts, long days in the sun followed by, coffee and movies shared at night with my Mom. I found my best friend at the river.


Great Lakes, Illinois stole me. Boot camp tore me down, tested me beyond belief and made me find an inner me,  I didn't even know existed. Even the temporary hell, that it was, it was never home.


Florida tanned me. I drank with Florida, laid on the beach, ran three miles a day. Command pt and duty. I became a better sailor in Florida.


California stole my heart. My relationships deepened with Esmeralda and Thomas as we tanned in the sun. I learned the importance of not drinking like marines do or a horrible hang over would follow. I miss California but California was not home.


I got orders to Japan. For the next three years, USS George Washington is where I will reside. While my family is miles away. I've created a nice Navy family to lean on. But is Japan home?

All of the places I've lived so far have shaped me into the person I am today. I carry memories of each place with me and tuck them neatly in my heart. Whenever I get sad or homesick, I know I can always go back in time to my sorority sisters in Cullowhee, my G.A.'s and family at Mount Gould, my childhood in Charlotte, etc. My heart has people, memories, and places saved.

So I guess don't really know where home is. I'm a drifter. This lifestyle was my choice. I wanted to see the world and become a more independent woman. So where do I turn to when I think of home? Well, I don't think it is a set location. I think that maybe home is defined by moments captured with the people you love no matter the distance.  Wherever I go in life, as long as I'm with the people I love... I'll be home.

I skyped with my friend Caroline today. For the hour that we talked together, I was home. We made fish faces, and she rolled her tongue. We flashed quatrefoils and laughed...uncontrollably. We talked about things only we understand. Miles away, home is a feeling. It's the feeling that the person you are talking to completely gets you.

The other day, I skyped with my mom and Jacqui, just like old times, they got up early, brewed coffee and set a cup out for me. While I would love to see my family and friends in person, skype and phone calls will just have to do. There are people in places I care about dearly, and I hope they know how much they mean to me. 


So to everyone back home in North Carolina, I miss you! And know that Carolina keeps calling me home.



No comments:

Post a Comment