Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where is my Lloyd Dobbler?

Not liking country music is a deal breaker in my book. Like seriously, if you are a guy and have interest in me, don't expect for me to even turn my head if you don't like country music. I can't even go a day without listening to country music. It's such a huge part of me, and I just don't understand anyone who doesn't enjoy the banjo, lyrics, and acoustic guitar of country music. Really, how do you live?

You know the movie, Say Anything? It came out in the 80's, with John Cussack. It has that famous scene of him holding up the radio, in his brown coat, jamming out to Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes." Well I was just sitting here thinking, where is my Lloyd Dobbler of the world. I fear that I will never find love in life and only have affairs with characters in novels and actors in movies.

I've posted a quote from the movie below. In a world of guys, he is such a man. This is one of my favorite movies. He has no idea career wise what he wants. Sound familiar? Yeah, I know! But he knows exactly what makes him a better person...her.

Lloyd Dobler: I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
What I really want to do with my life - what I want to do for a living - is I want to be with your daughter. I'm good at it.

It's not that my standards are too high when it comes to the opposite sex. I guess, my Dad just set a really good example of what a man should be. I have no interest in settling for just anyone here in Japan. Very few people in the world understand me or get my logic of thinking. People say I'm random and don't make any sense at times. I do. I make a whole lot of sense actually, you just fail to keep up. God will send me someone who truly understands and appreciates me when the time is right. I feel so lost in my love life right now. I feel like I've left my heart in one place and God pressed pause on my life so I could focus more time on myself.  Maybe that's true but, I miss how easy it was in college. I miss my phi mu sisters and sorority life. I think I will continue to prefer fraternity boys and college guys over sailors or marines. Don't get me wrong, I love marines, but my big brother Brady, could tell you a thing or two about marines. Trouble follows.

In college it was so easy. I had a sorority filled with sisters that knew what all the fraternity boys were after. Lots of gossip about who was into who and lots of insight on each individual, fraternity or not.

So as Valentine's day is tomorrow, I'm not sad that I do not have a significant other in my life right now. I'm actually quite pleased with myself because I'm developing a very long list of what I am looking for.

So here's what I want in a man... (or maybe just out of life, really)

1.) Facial hair. Be a man! I'm in a horrible place for wanting facial hair on men right now, what with the navy's grooming policies, but oh well.
2.) Be honest. I know its hard to tell someone how you feel but, believe me, it's worse never being able to tell someone how much they mean to you. (I'm going through that one, right now).
3.) You know I'm really looking for a man who can fix things. For example, my big sister has a wonderful boyfriend, who used to fix things on my car, and made the cieling fans in our apartment less wobbly. That was really nice! I think he is a wonderful boyfriend, for my big.
4.) Understand that I will not, under any circumstance, make you a sandwich if you refer to me as "woman." I have no idea who started that but it's 2012, a woman's place in the world does not revolve around the kitchen or your needs of a sandwich.
5.) Hold the door for me, not because I am a woman, but because you were raised to have manners.
6.) If we're on a first date and I offer to pay. Its a trick. I'm testing you. If you want a second date with me, you will pay for the first. I'm not stuck up. I don't want to be spoiled. Realize, that I will pay for dates too. A relationship should be 50/50 in everything.
7.) You know how George Strait looks? Yeah, I want one of  those cowboy types.
8.) Oh, if you play a muscial instrument, you automatically get ten extra points in my book.
9.) I don't want anything fancy. I still believe the best dates are the free ones. truck bed, blankets, stars and beer. Check, please!
10.) Be stronger than me. If I borrow your shirt, it shouldn't fit me. I need muscles and strength.
11.) And lastly, I'm not interested in any of you. I'm making it on my own just fine.

If you have no goals in life and aren't going anywhere, I'm not going anywhere with you. Wow, I feel alot better now. It's nice being able to rant and lay everything down on the line.

When I get married...eventually, I will, it will be for forever. My forever may not be 60 years, like my grandparents, but I will commit. I know one thing too, I will make sure that I want to be with this man the rest of my life before I tie the knot or I won't get married.  Divorce is expensive, my friends.
DG

No comments:

Post a Comment