Wednesday, February 22, 2012

PDA. Really?


PDA..


How much is too much?

NOTE: All rules go out the window where alcohol is concerned. For the purpose of this blog, I am not talking about the happenings of a bar but rather, out in town, restauraunts, and hang out spots free of liquor and beer.

We all love to show our love for our significant other, but is it appropriate to do so, in public? Is it really necessary to make out with your partner in spectrum while I am trying to concentrate on writing a blog or watch a movie. I am currently, happily single, but watching two people smack face, makes me want to vomit. PDA is a subject that is much debated. But, in my opinion, it is unnecessary, selfish and downright rude to others.

I am not a bitter cynic, lonely complaining for no reason. There are others, too, that are offended by these actions. So, the next time you consider to be all 'lovely dovey' with your partner. Here's a list of how I feel about certain displays.

As I am currently living in Japan, I might add, that the Japanese culture is not fond on pda either. Public displays of affection between members of the opposite sex—such as kissing, hugging and holding hands—are considered rude in Japan.

The Japanese word used by the older generation to describe a kiss literally translates to "approach the lips." Most young people say "kee-su." The Japanese pronunciation of the English word "kiss," is "choo" or "choo-choo." This translation comes from the sound a kiss makes to Japanese ears. All credit to this tid bit of information, can be found here, along with more interesting facts about dating in Japan.
 ---> http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=618&catid=18
Displays of affection:

1.)  Holding hands. Well, I will not say much about holding hands, This is definitely appropriate and by no way offends me. Holding hands is an intimate gesture that shows ownership of the other. Eww! I am the owner of myself! I am not fond of holding hands. Unless, you are my boyfriend, I will not hold your hand.

2.) Linking arms. Linking arms is VERY different from holding hands. Many will link arms when alcohol is involved. This gesture does not emit the same sense of ownership or coupleness that holding hands does, but there can be meaning behind it. This too is appropriate!

3.) Hugging. Oh how the world gets better by the minute with hugs. I love all forms of hugs. Goodbye hugs, friend hugs, drunk hugs, half hugs...you name it.

4.) Kissing. Or the act of a peck on the cheek or lips. This a very innocent sweet form of pda that is required to better relationships all over the world. Even Japan is daring for short pecks. I approve. As long as you aren't that obnoxious ridiculous girlfriend that is repeatedly pecking her boyfriend on the check like a maniac...I'm good with this.

5.) Making out. Eww gross, what are we in middle school. I should not have to turn my head because you are soaking your boyfriend with saliva and jamming your tongue down his throat, like a crazed dog. I do not want to see that. I don't care if you are one of my friend's or a stranger. Charlie Rich said it best in the song, "behind closed doors" I've posted the lyrics below.




My baby makes me proud
Lord, don't she make me proud
She never makes a scene
By hanging all over me in a crowd
'Cause people like to talk
Lord, don't they love to talk
But when they turn out the lights
I know she'll be leaving with me

 
And when we get behind closed doors
Then she lets her hair hang down
And she makes me glad that I'm a man
Oh, no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors

 
My baby makes me smile
Lord, don't she make me smile
She's never far away
Or too tired to say: "I want you"
She's always a lady, just like a lady should be
But when they turn out the lights
She's still a baby to me





Maybe, women don't know how to be lady's these days. What happens in the bedroom, should stay in the bedroom.

6.) OK, so the reason behind this post. the picture above. I took this picture of two sailors laying on top of each other at Spectrum during non working hours. For those of you who do not know what spectrum is, it's a hang out spot for single sailors to use the computers, play pool and call home and watch tv. The faces in this picture are unknown. Cuddling. While most days, I would deem this appropriate, the picture above fails! I understand that the ship is rough and the end of the day, you want to spend time with your boyfriend, but do you have to lay on top of him with his hand on your ass, legs intertwined? Whatever happened, to laying a head on his shoulder or just a simple kiss? At the end of a long day, all I want to do is lay on a bean bag chair in spectrum and watch a movie not be grossed out by your actions. Really? Get a room.

Come on, people, help me out. Am I right or am I right?








No comments:

Post a Comment