Thursday, March 29, 2012

10 things I cannot live without (Part 1)

apple-iphone-4-91.jpg1.) My phone. Living in Japan, my phone is my connection to family through skype, heytell, textplus, and sometimes magic jack. Family is so important to me. I cannot even describe in words, how hard it is going to be for me to go on my first deployment. God help me. Hopefully through cards, packages, and prayers I'll make it. As much as I miss home, I know my family is excited and very supportive. I'm so blessed to have a positive family that is thrilled with the decisions I make for myself. So many of my friends have issues back home. It's nice not to have to worry about any of that. Sometimes I walk around base and think, "Oh my gosh, I really did it. I'm in Japan." Heytell is one of my favorites. I feel like I m actually in the conversation when I'm heytelling with my brother. During Christmastime, everyone in my family sent me messages.  It really helped me make it through.




Graphic__Music_-Headphones-_Heart.gif2.) Music. There is never a quiet moment in my life where I'm not listening or singing something in my head. I love music. I was raised to love it. From beach music to blues, gospel, bluegrass, rock and roll and everything in between. Music surrounds me. Right now, I'm on pandora listening to The Embers. Random, I know but sometimes beach music brings happiness to my soul. I cannot work out without music. If I forget my headphones I might as well not even work out. Some of my motivation songs when I'm running are: "save a horse ride a cowboy," "space Jam," and even Adele's, "Set fire to the rain."

425322_3407480195833_1534772912_32980003_1752297831_n.jpg3.) Thomas. Haha, she wanted me to put her on my list. Honestly, I believe she has earned her spot. From California to here, we have had some hilarious times together. I remember getting off of the bus and walking into the building to check in. I could care less about anything they were asking me to do. I just wanted to see Thomas, because coming to a new command, let alone in a new country can be terrifying. She gave me the biggest hug when I first got here. We talk about relationships, and bitch to each other about everything in Japan. I even bring her chocolate hollow bunnies. Granted, they don't always make it back to her in one piece because I get hungry, but its the thought that counts, right? As soon as we checked in on the ship and met everyone in our division I wasn't worried about having to please any of the girls in my division because I already had Thomas by my side. We call ourselves the A team, because when we work together, we get shit done. Unfortunately, we are cranking on opposite shifts so all the days I work, she has off and vice versa. Its kind of funny actually, because now every time we see each other, it takes us like thirty minutes to an hour to catch each other up on our lives. I feel like as soon as I see her, I don't take a breath before spilling out the last couple of days to her. And of course, we blow up each other's facebook page now because we never see each other. But all in all, she makes Japan much more enjoyable. I'm looking forward to many more ridiculous memories with her.

4.) My journal. You guys already know I post a lot and write many thoughts for all of you to read here on my blog, but more importantly, I love writing thoughts in my journal for my eyes only. I can't even successfully fall asleep before I write in my journal. Call me crazy, but its kind of like my release at the end of the day. Recently, Mama Harkins and Caro sent me a beautiful journal in the mail. I love writing in it because before opening it, it looks just like me. Its small and fits in my purse. So if you ever see me out and about writing while listening to music, I am not bored. I am simply in my element writing down all my memories, complaining about all the shitty things on the ship and reminiscing days at home with family. I've kept a journal since I was a young teenager. I have probably 8 or 9 completed journals at home. Sometimes, when I was dating past boyfriends I would read some of my feelings to them when we first started dating. They always seemed to enjoy hearing what I thought about them, unedited. Its always interesting to go back and see what I think. Most of the time, they are hysterically funny. But I will tell you, whenever I die, I'm gonna need someone to burn or bury them with me, because they are my thoughts and not anyone else's.

fo-korean-fried-chicken-608.jpg
5.) Food. OK, so duh, everyone needs food to survive, but I have always been kind of an odd child in that, I LIVE for the next meal, every single day. We could be sitting down for breakfast and I'll be wondering what's for lunch. I don't know what my parents fed me as a kid, but I've always had a strong appetite for any kind of food. My favorite part about Japan, is eating ridiculously crazy foods. Even though the food sucks on the ship, I still make do. The other morning I was laying in my rack and I could have sworn I could smell my mom's beef stew simmering in the crock pot. I called her immediately and told her my stomach would kill for two big bowlfuls of her beef stew. I majored in nutrition, and I know all of the rules but even in college, I never followed them. I believe that every meal needs dessert, coffee comes in multiple servings, most fruits go best with chocolate, and chicken fried will never go out of style. So maybe when I grow up, I'll be the best dietitian there is out there, or maybe I'll be the worst, but I continue to make the best part of my day dinner.

OK, I promise part two is coming! I have to get to work right now, but let me know what you think. And here's an Ember's song. Have a fabulous Friday. I'll be at work all weekend, with bad food. :(








No comments:

Post a Comment