Friday, April 6, 2012

Staying Connected- GA style

I have many friends spread across North Carolina, from Charlotte, to Cullowhee, but among some of my favorites are the Elm Grove GA's. On a tiny back road in Askewville, NC, rests a church my family has come to call home. A pew is reserved for me every Sunday by Mrs. Hattie Mae, the gospel is spoken in words I can understand and hugs are acceptable before, during and after the service (not just when the preacher tells you to greet each other).  The Elm Grove GA's are the Girls.In.Action. To be honest, I'm not really sure how the age group goes between the GA's and the Acteens, but the GA's are younger. Anyways, these girls have style and class, plus a contagious passion for the church, and most importantly helping others, and sharing God's word. As beautiful young women, these girls deserve much praise from me and many others. Whenever anyone in the church or area is not doing well health wise, they visit, write, pray and give smiles and laughter to those in need by doing everything they possibly can- not because they are told to, but because they genuinely care.
When I graduated college, I was blessed to spend an ample amount of time with the GA's. I religiously attended every Wednesday night that I possibly could. We've said numerous prayers, painted many wooden items, lots of crafts and read many passages out of the bible. I've made batches of brownies, and spent lots of time picking out cute outfits to impress the girls. I think I put more effort into getting ready for Wednesdays than I ever did when going on a date with a guy!
 
The GA's inspire me to be a better christian, and help me to feel welcome and part of the Elm Grove family. When I came home on leave after Florida, the first place I went was the beach to surprise all of them. At 3 o clock in the morning, my brother and I drive up to the house to find streamers and signs. Somehow my surprise backfired, and they surprised me.  I think my Aunt let the cat out of the bag and tried to cover her tracks. My mom said later that Katie was texting me and didn't understand why I wasn't texting her back. Only later, she figured out that I was in the airplane on my way to her and couldn't text back in a reasonable amount of time!
 
I miss all of them very much. But, I came up with a solution that I hope will also bless all of your lives as well. I've decided that to stay connected with the GA's, I should first stay connected with God. So, each week we are memorizing bible verses together. Short and simple ones, because I know that we all have a lot going on but I figure if we are 9,000 miles away from each other but keep the same verse in our hearts, God will keep us connected.

Below is an email written by my Mom, I think she may have taken my idea to greater heights.

(Mom, I spell/grammatically checked you, before posting)

Good afternoon,

As many of you know, my daughter, Danielle Greene, is proudly serving our country in the  US Navy. She is an aviation ordnanceman aboard the USS George Washington, aircraft carrier, stationed in Japan. From our home in eastern NC,  Japan is a little less than 9000 miles away.  Yes, it is hard for me to believe.

Thanks to all of you that pray for our military daily.  They need our prays and support, as well as, their families back home.

She has been aboard the George Washington since December and deploys out to sea soon.  Since boot camp, we have been able to talk on the phone (thanks to the USO at her base), facebook, skype, hey tell, email and letters. It certainly keeps us from missing each other so much… Granted she is twelve hours ahead of us so that in itself is challenging. My tomorrow is already there for her.  When she goes out to sea,  the communication will become slimmer. 

I have done pretty well so far -- no breakdowns.  I know that I am operating on an inner strength provided by God.

In an effort to stay closer to God and our home church, Elm Grove Baptist, in Colerain, NC,  Danielle has come up with an idea to keep us connected.  Her idea was she would choose a weekly bible verse for us back home to memorize, study on and pray about.  The idea has taken off. 

Originally she targeted the Elm Grove GA’s the younger girls in church, then we put it out to the church, so it will be in our church bulletin. She  also decided to post it on her blog for fellow sailors in Japan and friends back home. I decided to email to my fellow friends in faith.  My plan is to email you each week the Bible Verse and let you help me spread the good news wherever we can.

I know it is tough with all the emails we get daily to have one more…. But I assure this will be worthwhile.  Worth sharing and we will all grow closer to God if we allow him to work through us.    Help us by passing it on to your friends , and their friends and the power of prayer will be greatly accomplished.

So please join me in sharing prayer and faith with others.  I enclosed a picture of Danielle and her brother, Jonathan and as you can see by the BIG smile on his face he loves and misses his sister.  This was a surprise visit they planned back at Thanksgiving.


It is  my plan to grow the list and share God’s love for us with others. 

Thanks for your friendship and for keeping me,  my daughter and other military  and their families in prayer

Have a blessed day and make it a great one.   Be on the lookout for the weekly Bible Verse.

If you would like to get into contact with my Mom, her email is Bgharden.hsg1@yahoo.com

So, here is the schedule.

March 25-31 Psalm 119:105
Your word is the light to my feet and a light for my path.

April 1-7 Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

April 8-14 Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

April 15-21 Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

April 22- 28 Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

April 29- May 5 Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?

May 6-12 1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on your because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.

May 13-19 Proverbs 31-25
She is clothed in strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.

May 20-26 Proverbs 3: 5-7
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight

May 27- June 2 John 14:8
If God is all you have, you have all you need.

June 3-9  Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

June 10-16 Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it

There will be more posted, but I am waiting for the girls to come up with their favorites so we can benefit from learning each others top verses.

I know Miss Hattie Mae will be a top participator, so I've posted a picture of my dearest friend, on that 2nd church pew.

Love and miss you all. Keep up the good work. I am so proud and think of you beautiful girls often.

DG



1 comment:

  1. Danielle, I am really enjoying the Bible verse program you started. Your mom sends me emails. I think it is a wonderful idea! You are such a wonderful young woman & setting a great example for these girls. Stay on track & never lose your heart & faith! You will go so far in life. Be safe until can breeze through Carolina again!

    ReplyDelete