Saturday, July 28, 2012

If Couches Could Talk

I have many memories from my childhood house on Rainbow Forrest Drive but, some of the memories often overlooked are those I've had on that old green couch. It was once a pretty couch but now, its quite worn in. The fabric is stained. The pink flowers are not nearly as bright as they once were. The cushions are lumpy. The arm rests are hard and the arm covers are constantly and irritatingly (is that a word?) always falling off. All this aside, I love that couch. I love some of the feelings and moments this couch has given to me throughout my life.

OK, so you may think this is totally dumb. I'm sharing romantic feelings with an inanimate object, but if you had this couch growing up you'd probably fall head over heels for it, too. I've been thinking about this couch a lot lately because my brother will be using it in his first apartment. Its been in storage since my first apartment. Let me begin by giving you a personal history of this couch and I.

I remember sharing many Disney movies with friends on this couch as a little girl. I'd always bring my hairbrush down and brush my hair during Aladdin. It made me feel like Princess Jasmine and clearly I couldn't bring a tiger down. The couch was there for me when I wanted to watch Winnie the Pooh. There was something about Winnie the Pooh, that always knocked my dad into a deep sleep. Is that why adults put Pooh on TV? So their kids will fall asleep?

The couch was in the living room for Christmas present time. It was there for me to throw my book bag on it as a kid. Some of my favorite moments with this couch were snow days or even 'sick' days. I'm sure the couch knew that I wasn't really 'sick,' but it remained loyal and we cuddled all day. Many episodes of Dawson's Creek, I spent snuggled under the mustang blanket while my brother droned on and on about the show being stupid. My brother and I watched all the old Nickelodeon cartoons: Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Doug, etc, etc. (If you are a 90's kid reading this, I shouldn't have to list them out). My brother and I fought over the couch daily but when we were too tired to argue or Daddy wasn't looking, we'd just share it. I'd throw my feet up on the top part with my head on the opposite side as Jon's and he'd lay with his head on the other side.
This couch has seen so many bowls of popcorn with my Dad. But I will tell you, my Dad didn't love the couch as much as Jonathan and I did. He often sat in the blue leather reclining chair. You know how men are with their reclining chairs! My dad got remarried when I was in my teens and the couch got packed up. We traded it in for a nice brown leather couch. All things aside, it was a nice couch. A really nice couch but, it just wasn't the same as the old green one.

Years later, I went off to college. I lived in the dorms for a couple years and finally my junior year of college, my big sister, Katie (sorority sister) and I moved in to a small two bedroom apartment. The first night we stayed there we made spaghetti and ate on the kitchen floor because we didn't have any furniture. We had a TV and sleeping bags, though. The act of moving out and being on my own aroused feelings inside me I'd never felt before. I was so happy. I was paying for my rent, cooking my meals, driving my own car and technically I was kind of broke.

My Dad brought the couch and some other furniture for Katie and I. Our living room was tiny, but just big enough to fit this green couch and a small coffee table. From that day on, we rarely used our kitchen table. I rarely studied at my desk. And we both spent hours and hours sitting together gossiping like young women do, on that couch. Many cups of coffee have been drank (and spilt) on that couch. Many episodes of CMT's country music countdown have been watched. Tears have been spilt, beers have been drank, papers have been written and relationships have strengthened.

Visitors were always welcome. We didn't have much but we did have extra blankets, a pillow and that couch. It sleeps pretty good for a couch. Whenever my dad came to visit, I'd give my bed to him and sleep on the couch. I remember channel surfing late into the night on that couch. If you lay just right, you can spoon with a significant other. And just like my brother and I did growing up, Katie and I often laid on opposite ends  together.

So think about it. If couches could talk what kind of stories could this one tell us about me? What would it say about my brother? Or the relationships I've had in college-boyfriends, Katie and Caro. It has surely seen memories being made and feelings unfold. If it could talk, I bet it would be able to help define some of my feelings for friends and family. Could it put into words what I can't put into words? Like, how do you explain the relationship you have with a sibling? I don't think any amount of words could truly make you understand how much love I have for my brother. I bet this couch has shaped me into the woman I am today. It may be a stretch, believe what you want, but I believe in things like that. I've had so many moments on that couch, its hard for me to overlook.

So the next chapter of this couch's life is my brother. My dad is bringing the couch to him this August. He is so excited to be on his own and have his own place. He doesn't even have any roommates. We'll see what this couch brings for Jon, or should I say, what kind of memories Jon will bring to this couch. I wish I had a picture of it for you all to see, but maybe imagination is better in your head. I know its better in mine.

I've posted a Brad Paisley video. The song is called, "Wrapped Around." I've been listening to him all day. I'm sure at one point or another, the couch has seen it too. :) You probably think I'm absurd. I probably am. Good, I'm glad we got that settled. Enjoy!


Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment