Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jacqui


Young_Elizabeth_Taylor_by_EvilBunnySlippers

Everyone has friends in life. No matter who you are, I hope and pray that your friends support you as much as mine do me. I am blessed with many friends, but by far my most unique relationship I hold, is with my dear friend, Jacqui. Jacqui is much older than me. Since this is a public blog, and I want to LIVE to see my next birthday...we'll just say Jacqui just turned 60. (You can thank me later, Jacqui).This being said, if you saw a picture, you wouldn't think she was a day over 55. She is a beautiful woman- inside and out. There are very few women left in this world who can hold beauty on the outside while it also radiates from within. She always fusses over her face and hair, and I just don't understand why. I love watching her get ready in the mornings. Sometimes I'll get a cup of coffee and sit on the toilet while she fixes her face or curls her hair. It's always fun because she screams when she accidentally burns her ear or forehead. I know I shouldn't laugh, but I do.
Above, I've posted a picture of Elizabeth Taylor. Jacqui has worn, white diamonds perfume for as long as I can remember, so whenever I see pictures of Elizabeth Taylor I think of Jacqui. Elizabeth Taylor is a very classy, proper woman, very much like Jacqui. Whenever Jacqui drinks coffee, she always holds it with her pinky pointing up, like a queen. My mom and I always comment on this. Oh yes, Jacqui is very fancy. I used to tell her not to fuss over putting leftovers in fancy dishes and just put them on the table in the containers. Only sometimes would I win these small battles.

Relationships, are one of the most important things in life. Chris McCandless from Into the Wild once said, "happiness is only real when shared." I believe he is 100% correct. I'm very close to my family. I'm very close to my phi mu sisters. I love my girls and family here in Japan, but i set Jacqui apart from all of my friends, because it is such a unique bond that we share. I don't know who I would be without Jacqui in my life. I can't remember a time when she wasn't there for me.

When I was a child, she took on the role as a grandmother type figure. But, I don't want to fool you with the negative stigma of the word, "grandmother." She is, by no means, boring and she doesn't crochet or knit. She is hip and likes to go out dancing and dresses in style. She pours a drink at 5 o clock everyday and she holds herself with more class, than any woman I've ever seen. As I grew up, her role as grandmother has been replaced to close friend. We gossip about relationships, men, underwear hanging out, bad tan lines, clothes, etc, etc... We talk about everything. Never did she miss a prom, or graduation. Never did she miss a first break up or first kiss. It makes me wonder, if she's had such an effect on my life, what else has she had time to transform in her time? There are truly few women, left on this earth with such altruistic spirits as Jacqui. She is always doing for others before herself. She will go the extra mile for family and friends and won't stop until you literally tell her to sit down. My mom is much like this too.

I have so many memories of Jacqui and myself. Most memories involve coffee and wonderful dinner conversations paired with lifetime movies. She is the queen of bargain shopping at yard sales. Never have I seen anyone go tubing down a river in such style as Jacqui has- fuzzy navel in hand. She didn't even spill a drop.

I try and call her as much as I can from here in Japan, but it never seems enough. I'm sure the next time I go home to visit...they'll have to put me on life support because I'll run out of breath, we have so much to catch up on. So, Jacqui, from here in Japan...You are beautiful. You are loved and I am proud and blessed to have you in my life.

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment