Monday, July 30, 2012

Things I've Missed Along the Way

Today was LONG! I cannot wait for insurv to be over already. Working 11-12 hour days is crazy. We might as well be out to sea again if you ask me. Anyways, this morning I was exhausted when I woke up and irritated. Most days I am constantly chipper and content with the shitty food and hot conditions of the ship. this morning it would have been nice shoulder checking every single person I passed.

I got over myself as soon as I had coffee/espresso. Somehow no matter what, my relationship with coffee will remain ever constant and loyal in my life, no matter what.

Being out here away from home, I've created a family for myself among friends. Now, I know its not home because home is where my mom is but, I've managed to make Japan feel as close to home as possible. Everyone knows I miss family and friends but I'd like to share some of the smaller, more obscure things I miss as well.

1.) Kissing my dog, Smokey, on the top of her nose. In that moment, I hold my lips on her snout and wait for her tongue to curl up and kiss back. Her tail wags and I smile and there is nothing in that moment that isn't defined by ever enduring love for one another.

2.) I miss sitting on the pier of the Chowan River with a cup of coffee in my hand, resting against my chest around 8 in the morning. I love not having to get dressed and just rolling out of bed to greet the sun. It shines right on the water and everything is still as glass. My feet just skim the top as the breeze hits my face and I can feel the lingering sun setting in for a tan or burn by later afternoon.

3.) I miss my shoes. My heels, boots, even flip flops. They are crying without me right now.

4.) I miss late night movie nights with my brother. I miss buying alcohol at Harris Teeter and going through all of the red box movie selections before settling on two scary ones. I miss picking out all the red and blue sour gummy worms in the dark without him noticing because the blanket is up by my eyes as I cringe with terror.

5.) I miss driving the back roads with cotton on my left side and soy beans on the right. I miss the emptiness of the roads and seeing more deer than cars on late night drives back to the river from Tastee Freeze.

6.) Banana sandwiches, bar-b-que, collard greens, beef stew, and pork chops

7.) Bottomless cups of coffee

8.) I miss hearing my dad sing and play tequila sunrise, Charley Pride and Buck Owens on the guitar.

9.) Definitely miss having a tan

10.) I miss wing night at O malley's and texas margaritas at El Pac.

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment