Friday, March 22, 2013

Lady Ganesa

I feel like my mind is constantly in a clutter of chaos. I like to compare my mind to tangled Christmas tree lights. As frustrating as tangled lights are, even in a jumbled messy ball, the lights are still beautiful. You can tell that the lights have a purpose and even though they are tangled, they are still glowing in defiance. With enough effort and focus if you separate the strands, glowing brilliance is returned to you. I know my mind and thoughts have a purpose. I know that every time I sit down at a computer chair, something inside of me is dying to be written. I believe that, I really do. It's so hard to have patience in straightening out one's mind when all you want to do, is just give up and throw the lights in the corner.

There's 1,440 minutes in a day. Who's got time to write on such a beautiful weekend? Check this website out. It's called the One Minute Writer. There are loads of prompts that can be used to help creative juices flow when sometimes you're just stumped.  

http://oneminutewriter.blogspot.jp/2008/11/todays-writing-prompt-adult.html

I use it often when I just can't focus. The idea is to answer one of the prompts and write for simply one minute. Some days I write more and others I stop at one minute. It's interesting to see what I come up with when I have a deadline set for myself. Anyways, the link to the website is above, if you are interested.

I haven't written any fiction lately so, here you go. A made up story about an elephant named Madame Ganesa. 

DISCLAIMER: I absolutely love elephants. If you do too, and you have a faint heart, do not read below. You were warned.


tied to a wooden frame

I felt the sting with every lash as the whip rose and snapped behind the man's head. As the lash came down piercing my skin, I watched the sweat dribble down his nose. It pooled into a small bead in his left nostril. During the split second he reached to wipe the sweat from his nose, I regained my composure to take the next assault. But how long would I survive? My body thrashed in pain, and I hung my trunk low to the ground. It seemed the lower I bent my head, the safer I was, but there was no escaping this, no matter how close to the ground I was. There was no escaping the belittling, abuse and inherent torture that life had handed to me. Again and again, as I was whipped, I cried in agony. I stayed like this for months. For months, I was lost. Not only was I lost, I was hungry, and I was tired. And I was scared.

When I was eleven months old, I was taken from captivity.  I was ripped away from my mother violently.  The only good in my life slashed in half right in front of me. As I think back to my training period, I remember how faint the good days were in my mind.  In the very beginning, I saw my mother in my head often. I saw nature and the mountains, and lots of lakes to bathe, swim and play in. As the beatings got tougher, and the elephant hook prodded deeper, those pictures of goodness and happiness faded. I lost myself, I lost the pictures of my mother in my head. I surrendered. I was defeated. I surrendered to the beatings. I surrendered to the men, and I surrendered to ever disobeying again. I was now a trained circus elephant.

Be on the lookout for my next blog update to follow the story of Lady Ganesa. Hope you've enjoyed yourself and I didn't break your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment