Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Boycotting Resolutions

It's December 31, 2013. Kirsten and I decided to buy wine and ring in the new year on the couch and go to sleep before 2014 commences. We have duty tomorrow so why stay up until midnight anyways right?

Ringing in the new year with wine, isn't anything crazy. Let's be honest, we ring in just about every night with wine. And each night, have I ever been disappointed? No. 

The rule of thumb is "the prettiest label of wine is always the best tasting." Well apparently, this rule failed me today. We purchased a box of zinfandel red wine. It was so cute. It was made out of recycled paper with cursive writing. It was fairly cheap, so we thought, why not, right? Wrong.

Kirsten didn't care for the wine but she poured me a glass, just the same. I love bitter black coffee, so tasting red bitter wine hit my taste buds just right today. Well, approximately one glass later…I'm ready to take on the world. Tipsy would be the word to use. Confident. Frank. Tipsy. 

Writing this blog today, I feel very vocal and opinionated so here goes…

Today, I am boycotting resolutions. Why change what is already awesome? So that sounded cocky. I know I'm not perfect but why even utter a goal if you know its not true? or you know it's not going to be completed? Why even start what you know won't be finished?

Did I turn into work out barbie last year? No.


Ok so here's a quote.

"You are not what you think about doing tomorrow.
You are what you start to do, today."

So, I'm not doing anything today. I'm sitting in sweats, enjoying good music, wine and friends. I'm not running a 5K (or running at all, for that matter) I'm not cooking great foods. I'm not learning a second language or cleaning my room more. I am simply being me. If being me is what I accomplished in 2013, why not do the same for 2014. 

We have a Miley Cyrus in this world…and she's just being Miley…haha ok, not funny.
We have a Beyonce and an Ellen Degeneres. We have Katy Perry and Lady Gaga but who really cares?

What we really need in 2014 is more of Danielle Greene being Danielle Greene.

Maybe absolutely everything I say is stupid. Maybe I'm living in a grown up world and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but at least I'm staying true to me, right?

It's sad to say but I truly believe that, I've experienced more in 3 years being single in Japan than most of my young married friends will ever experience in their whole lifetime.


Me: I'm living in Japan. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I'm eating foods I never knew existed and getting my hair cut by a girl who can't even understand me. If i want to eat an entire jar of nutella in one sitting, I will.

It's 2014, why not?

Reflecting back on 2013…it sucked. I learned a lot. I moved on and realized I deserved more. Instead of compliments about my outer beauty, i hope 2014 brings: "Your mind is so beautiful, I love the way you think, Your writing is a masterpiece." I'm tired of being complimented on things that don't matter.

Last year, I decided that my new years resolution would be to take the stairs more…well about 3 weeks into 2013 I decided that working on a ship I take the stairs enough. OPERATION FAIL!! What was I thinking?

"New years resolutions are great but they just make the gym crowded." Kirsten Pyne stated. She is so right. I love the gym. I really do. I do what I want to do and to be honest, I haven't been to the gym in awhile. I don't want to go. I'm happy eating pizza and drinking wine or beer and any man that sees me naked is going to be pleased regardless, so why not just do what I want to do whenever I want to do it.

I like to run. I like the feeling. I'll run when I want to run. So, yeah, 2014, bring it. No resolutions. I just want to live and be Danielle. What's more real than being me?





No comments:

Post a Comment