Sunday, December 15, 2013

Mom's Legacy Essay

"Servire," meaning, to serve. This is East Carolina University's motto. It is also the motto my mom lives and guides her life on. Meet Bernice Harden: a woman who doesn't sit down until everyone feels at home. Bernice: a woman with a plan and two helping hands. Growing up, she didn't give me the choice to be lazy or not. I was raised and expected to work hard. Over the years, I have seen my mom continuously make strides in the community as well as in our family. I cannot think of another woman more capable who stands humbly before others ready to serve. As I grow up, I hope to emulate her in serving others prior to serving my own needs.


My parents divorced when I was young, but being a single mother didn't stop my mom from being on the fast track. We didn't have a lot growing up but that's what helped me to appreciate each and every moment of the day. She did everything and didn't rely on a man...well, except for me! She set up the tent when we went camping. She taught me to build the fire, cut the bushes, and paint the walls. As other families were going to theme parks and Disneyland, my family hiked Jockey's ridge and navigated through national parks and bird sanctuaries. 

She has taught me that less is more. I've learned that free things in life are always grand. I didn't know that we were camping in national parks because it was cheaper than theme parks. I only knew that waterfalls were beautiful and mountains were huge. I didn't realize that I was learning geography, geology and life skills that would take me much farther than Disneyland or Carowinds ever could.

She has a vast knowledge of everything. I'd even go as far to say that she's better than google! You can count on her for anything and everything.  Even today, graduated from college I find myself calling her up saying, "Hey mom, how do you do this or what should I season my salmon with?" She has provided me with all of the necessary tools and guidance to grow into a great man, and I hope I continue to do a good job making her proud. I hope to one day have all of the answers that she does.

Growing up in Charlotte my mom was active member of the Lion's Club. The Lion's Club is large, worldwide volunteer organization committed to helping the blind and visually impaired. My Granddad was blind his whole life and I think this may have been the reason, she was active in the club. The Lion's club helps the visually impaired but also helps with disaster relief and community events as well. I remember going with her to many volunteer efforts to help raise money for the organization. She sold countless brooms and mops. I attended many Red Cross coin drops during the holidays. She expected me to be around for elderly visits at the old folks home and after all this time, I'm glad that she pushed me to experience helping out the community growing up. It kept me out of trouble and pushed me to raise money for Fraternity events, cancer donations and Hurricane clean ups.

My sister, Danielle, is currently in the U.S. Navy stationed on the USS George Washington in Japan. I know it is hard for her to have her daughter so far away. With me graduated, and Danielle 10,000 miles away, Bernice has actively become a GA (Girls in Action) leader for Elm Grove Church. Girls in Action is a discipleship organization for girls ages 1-6. The GA's meet every Wednesday night for prayer and mission work. Oftentimes, the meet for events once a week. Every week, my mom takes time out of her life to minister the gospel to these girls and teach them life lessons that go beyond having faith in God. Many of the girls need a mother figure to look up to, my mom fits the role. She has opened her house up on countless occasions for get togethers. She has crafted for hours, and spent money out of pocket to keep the GA's a successful program. She works with my Aunt on many projects, and this furthers their relationship and her value on the importance of family. The GA's do many volunteer projects. The girls visit with the elderly, do disaster relief, send packages to the military and preach the gospel to the community. The girls are so lucky to have such hard working woman to look up to.


This past year, my mom has been especially blessed with the opportunity to volunteer with Elm Grove Church to clean up Oklahoma. The tornado damaged over 2,000 homes, leaving many with nothing. She traveled with a group of about twelve others and spent just under a week ministering to those less fortunate and helping to repair damaged houses. She camped out in a church room with fifty others. Did I say she was good with power tools? This woman could fix just about anything.

I cannot state how proud I am of her. For Oklahoma, but also for all that she does for others in her spare time. A woman so selfless, sometimes I wonder how she even remember to breathe. She bends over backwards for anyone and everyone. And while she continues to help others, I hope that others follow in her footsteps. If there is anything this world needs, its more Bernices's. This world needs more Christmas cards, and hugs to the elderly, and a genuine "How are you?" Whether it be the elderly, the military, those less fortunate, our youth or even a next door neighbor, I am proud to tell the world that Bernice serves.

No comments:

Post a Comment