Friday, February 20, 2015

Bald for Cancer

What do you want to accomplish before you die? Everyone has a bucket list, right? It may not be written down in cursive handwriting or typed into a blog but everyone has a certain criteria they would like to meet before they die. Everyone has goals or adventures planned but do you go through with them?

Bucket lists are lists for oneself to accomplish before dying. A bucket list is bragging rights to friends and family, a sense accomplishment or perhaps, an activity that grants peace. I have so many things I would like to accomplish. Some travel, some daring, some simply a check in the box but the one on my mind tonight isn't for me, its for all of those unable to live out all of their goals before they die. Have you ever thought of that? The people who simply cannot complete their bucket lists? Be it, a lack of time, or developmental issues, some people aren't granted the same opportunities as others. What can we do to make up for all of those dreams left unsaid, or perhaps, undone?

Now, I am no expert on the subject of death, dying, or terminal illness but this much I know is true...I want to help. I've watched one too many movies on Saint Jude hospitals. And I've known one too many people with cancer. I praise all of the nurses, doctors and staff that work in a cancer ward for, both young and old, but especially young. What heroes we have working everyday right under our eyes. Yet we celebrate football stars and celebrities? But what can I do to inspire? Because in the end, that's all I can do. I cannot diagnose. I can't give more time. I'll never find the cure for cancer, but I know the cure to heartache. It lies in smiles, hugs, appreciation and a little extra time given of yourself. What can you give?


Go bald for cancer.

That is on my bucket list. I would like to run a St. Baldricks Event and involve both military and churches across North Carolina. Because kids with cancer often lose their hair....we can show support by shaving ours voluntarily. My hopes are that friends and family will want to be involved by shaving their heads and/or donating to support childhood cancer research. Think of the impact we could make.

Now, as a woman, this is a huge commitment. How many of us absolutely love their hair? I know I do! But how many of those little girls with cancer loved their hair too? It's true, you may say, "Danielle, their hair isn't going to grow back by us shaving ours?" True, but we can send the message that "bald is beautiful" and "you are not alone" Kids with cancer should know this. They have enough on their plate than to worry about their hair.  

Hair grows back. I want to do this. I want to do it for me but also for all of those I've lost to cancer. 




I don't know when I will be able to set up this event but I will shave my head for cancer and fight to raise money for a cure. It doesn't matter what kind of cancer it is. It matters that we make a difference, change to world and complete some bucket lists. 

Be om the look out for more info to come and if you have any questions, check this website out. http://www.stbaldricks.org 

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment